- LOOKING TO ADOPT
- Domestic Programs
- Domestic Information
- International Programs
- International Information
- Adoption Facts
- Adoption Glossary
- Adoptions at Gladney
- Adoption Process
- Countries That Built Our History
- Hague Training
- Humanitarian Aid
- Waiting Child Webinars
- Orphan Care Ministry Resource
- Pathways Training
- Waiting Children
- Which Country is Right for You?
- Reference Families Information
- Request Free Adoption Packet!
- I'M PREGNANT
- ABOUT US
- OUR SERVICES
- POST ADOPTION
- FAMILY ASSOCIATION
China Applicant Criteria
Currently Gladney's China adoption program is a Special Needs program. All parents must have some flexibility regarding age of child and express an openness to a child with a medical condition.
- Couples must be married for at least two years; China will only place children with heterosexual couples
- If previously married, current marriage must be approaching five years
- No more than two divorces per parent
- Each parent must be at least 30 years old
- In considering the child to be adopted, there can be no more than 50 years’ age difference between the younger parent and the child
- Parents must have minimum income of $30,000 plus $10,000 per child living in home (including child to be adopted)
- Must have a $80,000 net worth (assets minus liabilities)
- Parents must be in good physical and mental condition. (For strong applicants there may be discretion regarding health parameters.)
- If being treated for mental health (e.g., anxiety, depression) condition must be stable and well-managed (support letter from treating provider needed)
- If one parent has (or has had) a major health condition such as cancer, lupus, deafness, seizures, multiple sclerosis, or organ transplant within last ten years, condition must be under good control and other parent must be in good health
- Must not have significant vision loss, orthopedic limitations, psychological conditions, or infectious diseases (e.g., HIV)
- Body Mass Index (BMI) must be less than 40
- Minimum of high school education or equivalent
- At least one applicant must be a US citizen
- No history of domestic violence, sexual or child abuse
- No significant criminal history; NOTE: a minor offense occurring more than 10 years prior will not automatically preclude a parent from adopting
- No history of drug use
- No history of alcohol misuse/abuse within past ten years
- If you are a single parent living in Texas, New York, or New Jersey and would like to learn more about opportunities to apply to Gladney to adopt from China, please contact Judy Hayes.
NOTE: These guidelines reflect CCCWA’s December 2014 announcement.
You will be required to complete a foreign dossier and attend Gladney's Pathways Training. The Gladney Center for Adoption will assist you with every step of this process.
To learn more about adopting from China, please request one of Gladney's free, comprehensive Adoption Information Packets. Make your request on-line or by calling 212-868-3434 or 1-800-INT-ADOP.