In 2007, Gladney joined forces with Superkids, a program which sent medical and therapy volunteers to visit children with special needs in orphanages in China.
Today, teams continue to visit China to assist waiting children in finding forever adoptive families through child centered adoption advocacy, as well as improve quality of life for these children through caregiver training and orphanage assistance. Being able to properly assess the children in-person enables Gladney to better advocate and match children with waiting adoptive families. The Superkids teams also provide direct support to orphanages, such as delivering specialized bottles for children with cleft lip/palate, training caregivers on their use, and providing medical and therapy equipment as needed.
Currently, Gladney has an active Superkids program in China and Taiwan. Previously, teams have also visited children in Ethiopia.
It is the intention of Gladney to utilize developmental assessment information gained through Superkids volunteers to have an informed dialogue with potential and prospective adoptive parents about the needs of waiting children and to advocate for the children accordingly. If you are interested in finding out more about our waiting children in Asia, please visit the Waiting Children section of our website. Gladney encourages all adoptive parents to seek independent medical guidance from an international adoption pediatrician.
Gladney's Superkids Program Values:
- Every child deserves a loving family.
- Each child is special and is not defined by his/her special need.
- Gladney’s Superkids program cooperates with orphanages for the benefit of waiting children.
- Gladney believes in child-focused advocacy.
- Well-informed prospective adoptive parents are better prepared for caring for their child and for their future family as a whole.
- For children in orphanages who are not available for adoption or who continue to wait for adoptive families, Gladney’s Superkids volunteers train and educate the orphanage caregivers, in order to enrich the children’s lives and futures.
Volunteer with Superkids:
Superkids continuously recruits Pediatric Therapy professionals and Pediatricians for future trips. We are also looking for volunteers with video, web, copywriting, and photography skills. Intern opportunities are available as well.
Volunteers contribute to helping children find their forever adoptive families and improve orphanage care for children who still wait. If you are interested, please contact Wendy Stanley.