We appreciate your interest in the Adoption Registry and are happy to provide you with the registry information.
Texas State Law changed in 1984 to allow the establishment of a registry system, which provides a means for contact between adoptees, age 18 or older, birth parents, and biological siblings in instances of mutual consent. The State of Texas Vital Statistics maintains the Registry in accordance with Texas law, and a "match" through the Registry, which would allow contact, occurs when both an adult adoptee, age 18 or older, and birth parent(s) or siblings, age 18 or older, independently register.
Please Be Advised
By placing your name on the Texas Voluntary Adoption Registry, you are stating that you are ready to have direct contact with your counterpart, should that person(s) also place his/her name on the Registry.
We are providing you with a link to The Texas Voluntary Adoption Registry application. The statute has some very specific requirements concerning the registration process. This is necessary to protect the privacy rights of birth parents, adoptees, biological siblings, and their families. The following items are required when filing your application:
Complete the two-page Voluntary Central Adoption Registry application and mail it and following items to: VSS—CAR DSHS MC 2096 P.O. Box 149347 Austin, TX 78714-9347.
- $30.00 check or money order payable to DSHS
- Proof of age and identity in the form of a photo ID, i.e., a valid driver's license, passport, or State ID; and
- If the applicant's name has changed due to marriage, a copy of a legal document that includes the applicant's maiden name, i.e., a copy of a birth or marriage certificate;
- If the applicant is a sibling, a copy of his or her birth certificate must be included in order to verify the biological relationship;
- If the applicant's name has been legally changed, a certified copy of the court order verifying the name change should accompany the request.
All Applicants: Please note that processing your Registry application may take as long as 45 days. If you have any questions, please contact our office at 1-888-963-7111 x7388 or x6279.
Voluntary Registry Application Form
When a Match Occurs
A match occurs when an adult adoptee and his or her birth parent or an adoptee's biological sibling voluntarily place their name on an Adoption Registry. The registry releases identifying information after the participants in the match complete the following:
- A Consent to Release of Identifying information document that specifies the identifying information the participant wishes to release to the adoptee or birth relative.
- A one-hour post-adoption counseling session that educates and prepares each for the reunion.
- A written biography or history about the participant's life with copies of photographs or other visual media. The Registry sends the biography to the other participant at the same time the identifying information is exchanged.